Before breakfast and before coffee, comes warm lemon water. Upon stumbling down the stairs, half asleep, the first thing I do is put a kettle of water on the stove and squeeze half of a lemon into a 16 oz glass and drink a warm glass of lemon water.
I've been drinking warm lemon water on an empty stomach every morning for the past 8 years. I will even pack lemons with me wherever I go if I can't easily access them. Yes, this habit is deeply ingrained in my every day ritual. I can forgo a lot of things but this one is a must. It doesn't require much effort and starting the day with a tall glass of lemon water may be a good way to jump start your system for the day.
People often view establishing new habits to be somehow elusive and difficult to attain but this one is pretty simple and requires about 4 minutes of your time. Try it for just one week and see what happens. After all, I can tell you about the benefits but the real benefits come once you experience them for yourself.
Lemon water benefits
- Antioxidants - Lemon water contains antioxidants which prevents cell oxidation that causes free radicals. The Flavonoids found in lemons have been shown to have antibiotic properties as well as help support circulation and insulin sensitivity.
- Vitamin C: Our body doesn't produce vitamin C, so it's something we have to obtain from food on a daily basis. Since vitamin C is an antioxidant, it protects cells from oxidative stress. "Thus, emerging evidence indicates that even marginal vitamin C deficiency may impair normal perinatal neurogenesis, affect fetal programming of adult disease risk, and increase the risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality."
- Digestion: As my husband likes to point out, I'm obsessed with talking about poop. Well not quite but lets see - how happy are you when you're not going to the bathroom properly? I'll take a stab at it and say you're probably pretty miserable. Well simply starting your day with a glass of warm lemon water, is Drano for you insides. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.
- Weight loss: No drinking lemon water won't miraculously shave off pounds. But it does slightly boost your metabolism and starting your day with a huge glass of warm lemon water, may prevent you from overeating.
- Improved skin health: Most of us generally sleep between 6-8 hours a night. Most of us also sleep through the night without waking. During that time our bodies are slightly dehydrated and this also affects our skin. Drinking warm lemon water upon rising will hydrate skin and provide it with a dose of vitamin C, which promotes a youthful glow. Scientists uncovered that antioxidants actually help to protect collagen breakdown.
- Improved mood: Lemon has energizing properties and instantly elevates mood. Just think what happens when you smell a fresh cut lemon. Instantly your brain cells start to do a little dance.
- Helps with acid reflux: Lemon juice helps to neutralize stomach acid. Drinking lemon water 20 minutes before a meal can prevent unwanted acid reflux so many experience.
Making lemon water
Making lemon water is very simple. Here's what you need:
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 16 oz warm water
- optional: a few slices fresh ginger
I like to also make this during the day whenever possible and keep it on hand. I carry it with me in my trusted insulated bottle wherever I go.