- Prep time: 5-10 minutes
- Marinating time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time 15-20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 lb raw wild caught shrimp
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa (I use this)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth, chicken broth or water
For pineapple, mango and avocado salsa:
- 1 mango cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime or 1 lime if not juicy
- 1 tsp raw honey (I use this brand)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- optional - 1 tbsp finely sliced green onion. (I skipped this as my kids don't like raw onion yet)
- grill or grill pan or any saute pan
- Ziploc bag or container with lid
- sauce pan
- medium bowl
- small bowl
Add all ingredients for the shrimp in a container or Ziploc bag and shake well to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse quinoa well under running water and add to pan with broth or water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
In a medium sized bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, salt, honey and whisk vigorously. Reserve 3/4 of the marinade for the quinoa and leave the rest in the medium bowl. Add cubed avocado, mango, pineapple and cilantro. Mix well and set aside.
Heat grill pan or grill and cook shrimp for about 2-3 minutes per side or until pink.
Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff with fork, add the reserved marinade and stir to combine.
To assemble the plate. Layer quinoa on plate, add salsa and top with shrimp. Garnish with additional cilantro.